Military Academy Nominations
As a member of Congress, it is my honor to nominate students from North Dakota to the service academies of our nation's armed forces. For answers to any frequently asked questions, please review Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies:
- U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, Colorado
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, New York
The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, Connecticut, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Eligible applicants must be:
- Unmarried citizens of the United States with no dependents
- At least 17 years old but not past their 23rd birthday on the first of July of the year they wish to be admitted
- A resident of North Dakota. They, or their parents, must claim North Dakota as their primary state of residence
As a student interested in attending one of the Service Academies, there are a few things to do:
- First, contact the academy directly to open a pre-candidate file
- Second, in order to be considered for a nomination, contact the Military Academy Coordinator in my Fargo office and submit the following items no later than October 8, 2021:
- Academy Nomination Application Form (below)
- A copy of your high school transcripts, including your GPA, the size of your class, and your ranking within that class. If you are in prep school or college, please provide transcripts through your senior year
- SAT/ACT scores
- A resume of your extracurricular activities
- Three letters of recommendation: one from a teacher, principal or guidance counselor; one from an employer, coach, or extracurricular faculty advisor; and one from any person of your choice who is not related to you
- A personal essay to Congressman Armstrong titled, “Why I want to become an Officer in the U.S. Military”
- A current color 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 photograph of yourself
Please mail your completed form and materials to:
Congressman Kelly Armstrong
ATTN: Mary Christy
3217 Fiechtner Drive
Fargo, North Dakota 58103
The application deadline is Friday, October 8, 2021 for those students who are in their senior year of high school. Should you have any questions about the application process, please call my Military Academy Coordinator at 701-353-6665.
Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.